Suggested Program of Study
This program is designed to prepare students for practice as a respiratory care practitioner. The Associate of Applied Science degree graduate is prepared in application of skills required to demonstrate proficiency as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. In addition to laboratory instruction, the student receives experience through clinical simulation laboratory and supervised work experience in several clinical settings. The program incorporates the general education courses with the professional courses to prepare graduates for the expanded roles required for the respiratory care practitioner. Graduates are employed primarily in hospitals, but employment opportunities are also available with home health, skilled nursing facilities, physicians’ offices, DME and home medical equipment sales. Graduates are eligible to apply for the practitioner exam offered by National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC). Successful candidates earn the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential.
The Respiratory Care program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com).
Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
264 Precision Blvd.
Telford, TN 37690
Office: (817) 283-2835 ext 107
Fax: (817) 354-8519
Graduates are eligible to sit for the entry-level NBRC exam (CRT), the written advanced-practitioner NBRC exam, and the clinical simulation NBRC exam.
- Completion of all general admissions procedures of the College;
- Completion of the Nursing and Allied Health Technologies - Respitory Care Application for Admission form;
- Complete the required general education courses from an accredited college or university with a grade of “C” or above;
- Reading Placement test scores of ACCUPLACER NG 250+ or ACT Reading Score of 19 or completion of course in developmental reading with a grade of “C” or better; or ACCUPLACER NG Writing 263+ and Math 256+; or completion of required developmental courses based on placement scores or completion of 15 semester hours of general education applicable to the program with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher;
- Completion of an observation through a respiratory care department; and
- Completion or test score validated exemption of all required developmental studies courses in English, mathematics, and reading.
The above information must be submitted to:
Southeast Arkansas College
Nursing and Allied Health Technologies Division
Respiratory Care Department
1900 Hazel Street
Pine Bluff, AR 71603
APPLICATION PROCEDURE DEADLINE
Classes are admitted annually in August. Class size is limited, and all applicants are not accepted for participation. Application deadline: 3rd Friday in March.
Applicants with special needs due to a disability must make this fact known prior to admission, so that necessary accommodations can be made. Because of the nature of the profession, it may not always be possible to accommodate students with severe disabilities.
ACT or ACCUPLACER NG scores are reviewed in determining acceptance to the program. Students who have successfully completed remedial courses in math, English, and/or reading will also be considered for acceptance. Should the qualified applicants exceed the available slots in the program, admission into a particular class will be based on the date of completed application. Applicants that are selected for admission will be notified by letter. Upon acceptance into the Respiratory Care program students must submit evidence of the following in order to begin classes:
- P.P.D. Skin Test or Chest X-ray;
- Hepatitis B Series or signature on SEARK College Vaccination Waiver Claim Form;
- Functional Ability Acknowledgement Form; and
- Submit to a criminal background check and drug screen as covered in the NAH Department Policies.* Random drug screening may be utilized at any time during the course of the program at the student’s expense.
*NOTE: THE ASMB AND MOST OTHER STATES REQUIRE THAT ALL APPLICANTS FOR LICENSURE SUBMIT TO A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO APPLYING FOR A LICENSE TO PRACTICE RESPIRATORY THERAPY. STUDENTS ACCEPTED INTO THE RESPIRATORY CARE PROGRAM WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAVE THIS BACKGROUND CHECK AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY ALL ASSOCIATED FEES. THIS IS ADDITION TO THE CLINICAL PLACEMENT BACKGROUND CHECK
*Individuals convicted of certain crimes may not be eligible to sit for the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) exams.
It is the student’s responsibility to submit all documents required for clinical through the College’s Clinical Requirements database Verified Credentials. The cost of the subscription Drug Screen and criminal Background check is the student’s expense.
Program application can be found at http://seark.edu/sites/default/files/documents/nah/RRT_APPLICATION_201322.pdf