Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended (FERPA), students may request to examine the institutional records pertaining to them. This Act was designed to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal or formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA) concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the Act.
Southeast Arkansas College keeps the following types of records or information on students:
- Original application for enrollment.
- Grades and progress reports.
- Counseling notes.
These records are kept in the Registrar’s Office. A written request to look at the records will be granted within a reasonable period of time that does not interrupt the normal work of the office.
If a student feels that a record is inaccurate or misleading, the student will be given an opportunity to discuss the matter with the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Data from any student record cannot be released without student consent in writing except:
- School personnel who need information.
- Other schools where a student may be seeking enrollment.
- Student’s application for financial aid.
- Accrediting organization.
- Research studies for developing tests, administering student aid, improving instruction.
- Oral communications not based on educational records.
- Protection of health and safety to others.
- State and Federal educational authorities.
- Directory Information*:
- Dates of attendance.
- Major Field of study and official school activities.
- Degrees and awards.
- Most recent school attended.
If a student gives the name of an employee at Southeast Arkansas College as a reference for prospective employers or wants the College to release information other than directory information (including an Official Student Transcript), the student should complete a release form. Release forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.
*Southeast Arkansas College assumes that failure on the part of any student to request the withholding of “Directory Information” indicates approval for disclosure.